The Teague Lions fell behind 14-7 midway through the second quarter and then scored 31 unanswered points and advanced to the state quarterfinal with a win over the Franklin Lions at Waco ISD Stadium on Friday night.

Teague dominated the second half with three scores in five minutes to take control of the lead and the game.   They will face the Rockdale Tigers Friday night at 7:30 p.m. at Waco ISD Stadium.

Franklin took the opening kickoff marched downfield for the first score of the game.  The running of Jared Pedraza, Nick Lopez and Clayton Rosprim put the Lions into scoring position.

On the 15th play of the drive, Pedraza bowled over from five yards out and the Franklin Lions struck first 7-0.

Teague took the ball halfway through the first quarter and ran the rest of the time except the final 28 seconds.  Beginning at the 39 yard line, Tayvis Coleman carried the ball eight times on the drive.

Quarterback Zack Satterwhite complete a nine yard pass to Tyrese Heard and a 15 yard pass to Rodney Kuykendall.  Coleman finished the 13 play drive with a five yard touchdown run and the tie score at 7-7 at the end of the first quarter.

An exchange of punts set the Franklin Lions at the Teague 35 yard line.  Pedraza took the handoff and raced through the Teague defense for a 35 yard touchdown run and the lead was restored at 14-7.

Franklin lined up for the kick and it bounced off of one the linemen and Kole Lacey pounced on it at midfield.

Quarterback Darron Dixon completed a pass for 12 yards and the Lions advanced it inside the 20 yard line.

Franklin faced a fourth and three from the 18 and Rosprim was stopped a yard short and Teague took over on downs.

Coleman started the drive with a 14 yard run and Satterwhite completed a pass to Antonio Heard for 26 more.

On first down at the 40, Coleman ran to the right side and past the Franklin linebackers for the touchdown.  The extra point was blocked and the Franklin Lions clung to a 14-13 halftime lead.

Teague took possession in the opening moments of the third quarter and Satterwhit hit Heard, who made a leaping catch for a 55 yard gain to the seven yard line.

Three plays later, Coleman bulldozed his way in for the touchdown and Teague took the lead.  The try for two failed and the Teague lead stood at 19-14.

The Teague Lions forced a three and out and went back to work.  On third and one from their own 42, Coleman took the handoff and used a stiff-arm to break free.

The stiff-arm lasted for 14 yards until the defender fell and Coleman walked into the end zone for his fourth touchdown of the game.  Satterwhite ran in the conversion and the lead grew to 27-14.

Franklin had trouble fielding the kick and they had to begin the next possession at their own four yard line.  On second down, new quarterback Colton Ortner rolled to his right and passed back to the left.

Dayveon Dixon stepped in front of the pass and scored the nine yard interception return and the third touchdown in the first five minutes of the second half.  Roberto Escobedo added the extra point for the 34-14 lead.

Teague added a fourth quarter score on a Satterwhite pass to Antonio Heard to close out the scoring at 41-14.

Tayvis Coleman rushed for 200 yards and four touchdowns on 18 carries.  Satterwhite completed six of eight passes for 137 yards and a touchdown.  Antonio Heard caught three passes for 98 yards and a touchdown.

The Teague Lions move into the state quarterfinal for the second time in school history.  A win Friday night would put the Lions in the final four for the first time.


(Photos by Monte Calame)