Navigating Building Permits at City Hall PDF  ICON_SEP Print ICON_SEP  E-mail
Written by Nicole Scchaefer   


Spring is in the air and it’s the time of year that people start getting out and about, making updates to their homes and doing various spring projects.

There are some things you should know before you get started on a home improvement project if you live inside the City limits of Fairfield.

“Residents should always contact City Hall before beginning work of any kind to find out if a permit is required for their type of project,” says Director of Public Works, Clyde Woods.
When you contact the City, you will be given a permit application and a code packet. Woods has up to 15 business days to approve or deny the permit.

There are different fees for permits dependent upon the type of work to be done and if/how many inspections are needed. The fees must be paid before the permit is issued; and once issued, the permit holder will be given a certain time period in which to complete the work.


TOOLS OF THE TRADE used by Director of Public Works, Clyde Woods, when he is on site testing plumbing issues. (Photo by Nicole Schaefer)


The City of Fairfield follows the International Building Code of 2006 and the National Electric Code of 2008; and permits must be obtained before work can begin on any type of home improvement project.

Some of those projects include, but are not limited to: new construction, roofing, fencing, foundation work, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, sheds/car ports, additions, and remodels.

“There are newer versions of these codes,” explains Woods. “However, the newer the code, the more stringent it is. The codes the City uses are much more builder friendly.”

The City of Fairfield contracted with Shannon Wiggins, a Certified Building Inspector, in the summer of 2013 to take care of inspections that are required by law. Throughout a build or remodel, there are different phases where an inspection is needed, and Wiggins will be called in to take care of that. If the inspection passes, the build can continue. If it fails, the issue must be fixed and another inspection done, and passed, before progressing with the project.

Once a project has been finished and a final inspection is completed and passed, the City will issue a Certification of Occupancy.

“If you aren’t sure, or even if you think you don’t need a permit, it’s best to check with City Hall, just in case, to make sure you are covered before beginning work,” concludes Woods.

The Cities of Streetman, Teague, and Wortham have their own set of rules, each slightly different. If you live within those city limits, be sure to contact your City Hall for information prior to beginning any project.

Fairfield, Teague, and Wortham ordinances can be found online at At the drop down menu, select your city and it will take you to the listing.